Monday, May 4, 2015

Member Monday Feature: Sutton Shealy



With our group getting so large and with so many events all over the city each month, it's hard to know who everyone is.  So, we decided to start a Member Monday feature here on the blog. Every week we'll introduce you to a different member with a different babywearing background.  Some will be volunteers, some will just be regular meeting attenders.  Some will be veteran babywearers and some will be at the beginning of their journey.  We are hoping to show the depth and breath of the babywearing community.  If you are a regular attender at meetings or a regular contributor to the Facebook community, be prepared to be recruited.  ::insert evil laugh::

Today we are starting with Sutton Shealy.  She has quickly become an important part of our volunteer team.  In fact, she is going to be taking over some social media posting responsibilities so you'll probably be seeing more of her soon.  Therefore, we decided it would be good to introduce her.  Sutton is one of the sweetest people I've (Bonnie) ever met.  She has a gentle and peaceful way about her and a very infectious smile.  She totally makes me want to quit my job and travel the country together following the Grateful Dead.  And that's totally a complement!

Can you tell us a little about your family? I have a little army of all boys (even my dog): Tripp is my husband. He is an artist and has a big wooly beard and curly hair. Hawke is our oldest. He is 5 and the life of the party. Pretty sure he is cooler than both my husband and I. I started wearing him around 5 months in a ring sling and then moved to a SSC around 12 months. Harland (Harley Bear) will be 3 in July. He was born early and spent the first few weeks of his life in the NICU. Because he missed out on the extra womb time, I was either wearing him or holding him pretty much the first 6-12 months of his life. Hayes is 9 months and a rainbow baby and is our joyful Buddha baby. He is pretty much always happy and smiling and only cries when he is sleepy. Samson (our boykin spaniel) is 9 years old and will play ball or frisbee for hours. We moved to Charlotte the summer of 2012 from Colorado. I am slowly finding my mommy tribe, finally.





How did you learn about baby wearing? I can't really pinpoint when I learned about it. I feel like it was something I had always known about. In all honesty, strapping my baby to the front of my body never seemed appealing until I tried it. Then it was love. Love the closeness, the tender moments, the comfort it provides, the ease of getting around places and doing things like cooking and vacuuming.


What is your favorite carrier of all times? I absolutely love ring slings, but I am most handy with my Ergo.


What does babywearing allow you to do?  Babywearing allows me to vacuum & cook, work our booth at music festivals, go see live music, and carry grocery bags in both hands without leaving the baby in the house or car unattended.


How did you learn about BWI Charlotte? Jill (VBE)


What is your favorite thing about being a part of BWI Charlotte?  I love being a part of BWI Charlotte because it gets me out of the house to have adult conversation with unpretentious moms who don't judge each other and who are passionate keeping their babies close.


What meeting do you typically attend? Babies and Bellies


Do you have a favorite library carrier? Boba Air (just wish it had some leg padding)



You find yourself on a deserted island.  You can only have one carrier and one luxury item (hair dryer, mascara, favorite coffee cup, favorite pair of shoes, etc.).  What would they be? Ergo for my carrier and either a sleeping bag or a hair brush.
Sutton, thank you so much for letting us get to know you better.

No comments:

Post a Comment